CUTTING EDGE EXFOLIATION FOR HEALTHY SKIN
Dermaplaning is a non-invasive, medical aesthetic procedure that utilizes a manual method of exfoliation to remove dead skin cells and vellus hair. Also referred to as epidermal leveling, dermaplaning may instantly help to brighten a dull complexion and improve skin texture and tone so that your skin looks and feels fresh and radiant.
The procedure is 5 times more efficient at epidermal exfoliation than microdermabrasion and does not cause superficial irritation that is often associated with other exfoliation techniques. Used on it’s own or in combination with other treatments such as facials and chemical peels, dermaplaning is an excellent choice to include in a personalized treatment plan to improve the health of your skin.*
HOW IS DERMAPLANNING PERFORMED?
The procedure starts with a cleansing of the skin. Dermaplaning is then performed safely and gently using a sterile surgical blade. Your skin is held tightly while soft precision strokes are carried out with the blade at a 45 degree angle. The method removes the uttermost layer of the dead skin cells, leaving your skin smooth and supple. Once the treatment is completed, a higher rate of cell turnover may be triggered helping to reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, pigmentation, and sun spots.
WHAT TYPES OF SKIN BENEFIT FROM DERMAPLANING?
Most skin types can benefit from dermaplaning including: men and women, young adults, and all ethnicities, but it should be avoided with pustular acnetic skin. It is also a great alternative for patients who are pregnant or nursing that would like a deep exfoliation and are unable to have chemical exfoliation treatments performed during this time.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF DERMAPLANING?
- Removing dull epidermal skin cells allows topical products to penetrate more efficiently into the deeper layers of the skin and increases the efficacy of the active ingredients in skincare.
- Dermaplaning triggers a higher rate of cellular turnover and an increase in the production of collagen. As we age, decreased collagen production plays a large role in the visible signs of aging. Treatments that increase collagen production are highly beneficial for overall antiaging and skin rejuvenation, producing a smoother, more supple and vibrant complexion.
- Hyperkeratosis reduction. Hyperkeratosis is a buildup of the outermost layer of your epidermis. That buildup causes the dull complexions, improper product penetration and acne. Dermaplaning reduces the thickness of the outer layer of the skin to correct those skin conditions, while increasing the thickness of the remaining epidermis and dermis.
- Hyperpigmentation. Demaplaning is most beneficial for hyperpigmentation because of its ability to increase penetration of products that inhibit the production of melanin such as hydroquinone, kojic acid, lactic acid and retinols.
- Removal of vellus hair or “peach fuzz”. This hair often causes a buildup of dirt and oil in the follicles, removing the hair results in the immediate reduction of that build up. Makeup also goes on smoother. There is a common misconception that this will cause hair to grow in darker and coarser. In the case of vellus hair, they are by nature soft and fine, so removing them via dermaplaning will not make them thicker or coarser.
- Acne Simplex Reduction. Non-pustular and non-inflamed acne respond very well to this treatment. The removal of the outer layer of the epidermis significantly reduces clogged pores as well as enhanced penetration of the topical products.
- *Results may vary.
Contact GLO Antiaging in Calgary to book your dermaplaning appointment or schedule a complimentary consultation 403-455-0444.
* Results May Vary